SOAP empowers orphans for generations using our 360° educational and training approach. We create opportunities for underprivileged East African orphans to become leaders who develop long-term solutions in their communities.
OUR PROGRAM AT-A-GLANCE
DEVELOPING LEADERS THROUGH OUR 360° APPROACH
Creating opportunities for underprivileged orphans living in extreme poverty in East Africa through educational and training opportunities so they can obtain higher education to ultimately improve their standard of living, promote self-reliance, and improve the areas where the alumni reside. Through investing in disadvantaged refugee orphans and using our 360 degree approach we are bringing solutions to entire communities by developing leaders with the knowledge needed to create long-term solutions to poverty.
Building a future of self-sufficient citizen’s by virtue of the leaders we develop as a result of earning a higher education and our training opportunities. Our leaders will learn to identify opportunities where they can apply what they have learned to champion new prosperity in the community. This will create a self-sustaining and growing improvement of living standards in the areas where these students live. We believe that by helping one person gain an education, they become better able to help improve the quality of life for their family, community, and nation.
Transforming the lives of underprivileged orphans, developing them into leaders in their communities, and expanding their understanding of how they can help their community prosper as a result of their education. We mentor students while they progress through the educational process. We fund student’s education and oversee their living arrangement to ensure their quality of life supports a positive learning environment which often impacts their family’s quality of life too.
PERCENT OF YOUR DONATIONS GO DIRECTLY TO STUDENTS
2016 STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP GOAL
AMOUNT RAISED OF OUR $80,000 2016 GOAL
Students of SOAP are Success Stories
Friends of SOAP, there are so many ways you can make a difference in the lives of these underprivileged orphans. With your support, we can continue providing tuition assistance and textbooks for our very deserving students. In some cases, your donation may assist a student with additional funding for food, housing, or medical needs depending on the condition of their living situation.
We are currently providing tuition assistance to seven students located in East Africa. Our students display a deep desire to achieve their educational and career goals to elevate their life and their communities. Our goal is to continue providing the necessary funding to aid our exceptional students in achieving these goals. We appreciate your interest in SOAP International and our students.
While at his grandmother’s, Deng attended a boarding school which his family funded and he spent every available minute studying books. One day Deng experienced another tragic loss when he learned the organization who was funding his education would no longer be able to assist him. With no hope of ever achieving his dream of earning a degree he reached out to SOAP for assistance.
Achuei was born in a Kakuma refugee camp. She lost her dad at a young age. He died from a stroke because he did not receive adequate medical attention. Achuei is currently living in Nairobi and living at a boarding school.
While in Kenya he met SOAP Founder Dut Bior who was also one of the thousands of ‘Lost Boys’ who were thrust out of their homes into refugee camps. The two boys discovered geography, science and hope in a small mud-brick school building. After school let out in the afternoon, they would spend five or more hours devouring book after book and they bonded over their love of learning.
Awak became displaced at a young age as a result of the Second Sudanese Civil War. She had no one to turn to except the Kakuma Refugee camp. Awak grew up in the camp and knows no other life. Life in a refugee camp is especially hard for young girls because they are so vulnerable. Despite the many challenges she has faced, by herself, she has grown into a impressive young women full of hope and plans for her future.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
With your help SOAP International is transforming the lives of underprivileged orphans through rigorous education and training experiences. Our students are dedicated young people who are committed to their education and are civic-minded. SOAP is always looking for new ways to continue attaining additional funding which we could not do without you! We truly appreciate your continued support and interest in helping our students discover their true potential.
AWARD OF SCHOLARSHIPS
SOAP International seeks to provide educational and training opportunities to vulnerable orphans of East Africa. Eligibility is limited to those who are qualified under our definition of an orphan and availability of funds.
We define an orphan as a child with (1) No living parent, (2) Only one living parent, or (3) Two living parents that are unable to provide the basic necessities needed for survival.
Once an orphan qualifies and is awarded a scholarship, they are required to maintain enrollment status and earn qualified credits to pass a course and are required to participate in routine training sessions provided by SOAP International.
ALLOCATION OF CONTRIBUTIONS
SOAP International upholds the highest standards of awarding scholarships, transparency, and credibility. Monetary support is raised via fundraising events, private donations, volunteer opportunities and sponsors like you.
- Private donations are given here via PayPal or you can attend a fundraising event. Please contact us to inquire about fundraising events and volunteer opportunities.
- Donations are deposited into a bank account designated to act as a scholarship fund for our students.
- Donations are only allocated for tuition, textbooks, food, housing, and medical needs.
- Donations are not allocated to the founder, board members, mentors or any other person but our students.
- Donations if not allocated to sponsor a child directly are allocated to a student by the board.
- Board members allocate money each term or semester and funding is sent directly to the educational institution for students to continue their education.
- Trust through transparency is our priority therefore; if you are interested all receipts received from the latter transactions they are available for public scrutiny.
SUGGESTED CONTRIBUTION LEVELS
Our 2016 goal is to raise enough funding to provide scholarships to 25 students to give them an opportunity for high school, college and/or university. With an amount of $2125 USD a year per student, we are able to fund educational assistance to a student for a year. Here’s an example of how you can make this possible and what your gift will achieve:
Consider on-going automatic contribution that comfortable to you$____either monthly or quarterly or Yearly:
• $25 buy one day of a student’s education including tuition costs, boarding, transportation and school supplies.
• $709 buy semester(3 months) of a student’s education including tuition costs, boarding, transportation and school supplies.
• $2125 buy 12 months of a student’s education including tuition costs, boarding, transportation and school supplies.
• $8500 buy 4 years of a student’s College Education including tuition costs, boarding, transportation and school supplies.
We are currently providing tuition assistance to seven students located in East Africa. Our students display a deep desire to achieve their educational and career goals to elevate their life and their communities.
Empower an Orphan for Generations.
CONTRIBUTIONS ARE TAX EXEMPT
Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Our EIN number is 27-3472104.
TO DATE, YOU’VE HELPED US RAISE A STAGGERING
Partners in Prosperity
SOAP International is proud to partner with corporate supporters to help bring necessary, life-changing educational opportunities to underprivileged orphans of East Africa. These powerful corporate partnerships allow SOAP to continue educating the next generation of African leaders who will lead their communities to prosperity.
We are fortunate to receive support from these contributors and developing strong ties with them through transparency is our primary focus. We will continue sharing the impact these corporations are making on people who will make an impact on their communities.
Our goal for 2014 is to sponsor 25 orphans which is a significant increase from our 2013 sponsorship goal which was eight orphans. Through developing relationships with even more caring corporations, we can accomplish our 2015 goal.
We are eager to earn even more partnerships to increase awareness and advocacy. Educating and developing new leaders who will create long-term solutions to solve the problems of war torn nations is the key to their prosperity. We at SOAP International are sowing the seeds today so they will be harvested for years to come.
Our Scholarship Approach
- Identify qualified orphan students from scholarship applications.
- Provide Scholarship – This package include Tuition Costs, transportation, school supplies and boarding fee.
- Mentor and Track progress – Commit to maintaining 100% attendance to stay in the program.
- Give Back – Scholarship recipients are required to give back to their community and SOAP
We encourage you to contact us if you are interested in applying for a scholarship and meet the below requirements.
To be eligible for our Student Orphan Aid Program scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrates academic promise and performance.-
- Demonstrates high degree of scholastic achievement and effort.
- Evidence of a significant financial need.
- Evidence of one or more of the below parental situations being;
(1) No living parent,
(2) Only one living parent, or
(3) Two living parents that are unable to provide the basic necessities needed for survival.
- Commits to using the scholarship money to attend an accredited vocational, technical school, college or university in their country of habitation.
- Commits to enrolling as a full-time student at an accredited vocational, technical school, college or university in their country of habitation.
- Resides in the country in which they inhabit.
Additional specific qualifications may apply, please refer to the specific sponsor scholarship applications.
Completed applications must be submitted with all of the following items.
- Submit a recent official school transcript.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from a
- Faculty member, or
- Other individual who is knowledgeable of the applicant’s qualifications.
- Submit a one or two page typed essay outlining:
- Why he/she should be considered for a scholarship,
- What your long-term career goals are,
- Why it is important to receive an education, and
- How he/she will give back to their community.
MEET THE FOUNDER
Former child Sudanese refugee and ‘Lost Boy’ Dut Aguer Bior is committed to helping underprivileged orphans in East Africa improve their own futures. Despite Dut’s own struggles, he, like many other refugees, is remarkably generous and his endeavour is a moving story of courage and sacrifice.
Request a powerful and inspirational speaker for your event
Dut welcomes the opportunity to deliver a keynote address, powerful presentation, therapeutic group session, or roundtable session.
He greatly enjoys sharing SOAP International’s mission, vision, value, student stories and more. Dut’s special approach to delivering powerful presentations is designed for large audiences or as a stand-alone session that will inspire anyone. Length of session can vary and can be customized to fit your organization’s unique needs.
Previous events Dut has spoken at:
If there is anything we can do to answer your questions that will lead to a donation, please send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Student Orphan Aid Program
P.O. Box 25562
Salt Lake City, Utah 84125
Subscribe to get the latest information on SOAP and students.